January 15, 2013

Surgery Day






















We woke bright and early to get ready for my procedures. I was told not to eat or drink anything past 10pm the night before. I was uneasy about being put under (the last time I was given anesthesia I was 16!). We got all checked in and sat down to wait, and wait, and wait (always feels so much longer than it actually is). They always have HGTV on in the lobby so it was good that we also brought our ipods to take advantage of the wi-fi.

The nurse called my name and I said see ya later to Paul then followed her into the back. I was asked to change into one of those adorable hospital gowns and then to go empty my bladder. They got me all set up in the procedure room and the anesthesiologist  found a vein right away and got my IV all hooked up. Once Dr. W came in I was told to take 3 deep breaths -- and that is the last thing I remember.

As I slowly came out of it I shifted onto another bed that was wheeled in next to me and then taken to recovery. I was still quite groggy but awake enough to realize how insanely dry my throat was. I was offered some water or apple juice and I drank it down fast. I was parched! It was like I couldn't get enough liquid in me fast enough. Paul was brought in to sit with me for awhile while I woke up a bit more and they made sure my vitals were stable. Because my fingers were so cold the alarm on the heart rate monitor kept going off saying my heart wasn't beating enough.

Finally I was given the all clear to head home with pain killers and some individual heat packs. We got home and I sprawled out on the couch for pretty much the remainder of the day other than getting up for a drink or some food.

My soreness lasted a few days and the bleeding continued on... as I was beginning a "new" cycle since I stopped the BCPs the day before, even though I had just gotten my cycle a couple weeks before. Fun times :/

We were told everything went well and even given some photos of the procedures.

1 comment:

Sun Young Park said...

Cindy, thank you for sharing!