February 06, 2013

Egg Retrieval Process & My Procedure


The Process
The process of egg retrieval is known as follicular aspiration. Follicular aspiration involves inserting a hollow needle through the top of the vagina and into the ovaries. This needle is then used to suction out any eggs that may be present. In order to guide the needle into the appropriate area of the ovary a transvaginal ultrasound is used. This allows your doctor to insert the needle into your ovary at just the right place. 

Immediately following this procedure the eggs will be examined under a microscope to ensure that the egg is mature and viable. They are then placed in an incubator. Depending on the age of the patient and the effect that the fertility medications had it is normal to see between 5 and 20 eggs. The entire process takes about 30 minutes. 

My Procedure
We headed to HRC first thing in the morning on egg retrieval day. I was given my lovely bracelets, signed the consent for anesthesia, and then got dressed up in my hospital gown and fancy socks. 


I was taken back to the procedure room and waited for the anesthesiologist to get set up. The guy doing my anesthesia was sadly not the same one I saw for my surgery. It took this guy multiple tries in 5 different areas to get my IV set up! Ouch! He was finally able to get it going in my wrist. Last time the guy had no trouble getting it done on the first try. 


After all that Dr. W came in and we exchanged pleasantries while he made sure everything was set up. I do not remember anything beyond that point until they woke me to tell me they were all done.  I was taken to recovery where Paul was able to join me and given some juice. Dr. W came in to tell us that everything went smoothly and that he was able to get 8 eggs! If you remember we were worried that often times you will end up with less mature eggs than you had follicles so it was great news to hear. He said that we would need to wait for the lab to confirm that they were all mature and of good quality but he was quite pleased. Yay!

We had a celebratory breakfast and then I took it easy the remainder of the day. I was told there would be some discomfort and  possible bleeding from the procedure.

Beginning the day after an egg retrieval a whole new regimen of drugs will begin and you will find yourself (if you are like me) staring at the phone waiting for it to ring with news from the clinic as to what is happening. This is because a few hours (this varies clinic to clinic) after the egg retrieval process the lab will allow the viable mature eggs and your partners sperm to meet. They will be cultured overnight until they can be checked for fertilization.

2 comments:

Sherida said...

So excited for you!!! Waiting to hear more! Praying!

Judy S. said...

exciting!