June 04, 2013

Giving Blood

The next order of business after my appointment with Dr. Y was to come back a couple days later and get some blood/urine tests done.

They took EIGHT vials of blood from me! 

The following day my results came in:

Alanine Aminotransferase - measures the enzyme ALT in the blood, ALT is found mainly in the liver and a higher than normal result can mean the liver is damaged or diseased. My result was 18 anything less than 55 is considered normal.

Uric Acid - high levels of uric acid in the blood can cause solid crystals to form within joints, which can result in gout, kidney stones or kidney failure. My result was 3.8 normal range is 2.7-6.6, yay for normal. 

Hemoglobin A1C - test to check average blood sugar level. My result was 5.0 with the standard range being less than 7.0 and my estimated average glucose is 97 which is also normal.

Creatinine - test to also see how well the kidneys are working. My result 0.6 and normal is less than 1.2

CBC (complete blood count) without differential - All results were in the standard range for WBC, RBC, HGB, HCT, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW and platelets. 

Glucose 1 hr. gestational diabetes  - My result 101 with standard being less than 130. 

Urinalysis - All my results are normal for Glucose, ketones, UA HGB, PH, protein, nitrite, bilirubin, leukocyte esterase, and urobilinogen. 



These tests were done at 13 weeks 4 days. 

1 comment:

Lori said...

I know this is crazy, but on one of my lab visits with my second, they took 10 tubes. And the lady told me that if I were to donate blood, they would take the equivalent of 70 tubes. That was supposed to make me feel better...it didn't.