April 29, 2013

1st Kaiser Appointment

After the long 3 week wait we were super excited to finally get to go to Kaiser. Paul and I drove down separately since I would be heading straight to work as soon as it was over. I checked in and was given a clipboard to fill out our family medical history. Basically it was a whole list of diseases and we checked if there was anyone on either side of our families that had it along with information about my pregnancy thus far. About 15 minutes later I was called back and to our astonishment Paul was told he couldn't come! WHAT!?! I was spitting mad! He drove all the way down here and couldn't come back for my appointment? Grrrr.



So I followed the lady to the back where my blood pressure and weight were taken. Then I was seated in a mini office type area with partitions. I sat and waited. Then waited some more. And waited. By now I was super annoyed a lady finally came over and said well while you are waiting why don't we make your future appointments. The next available appointment wouldn't be for almost another month, which I was expecting since once you are with an OB they only see you once a month not every 10 days like I was used to. Another lady walked up when she had just finished making the appointment and asked what she thought she was doing, apparently this new lady was the one who made the appointments and the one who was doing it would be going over my medical history when she was done. So the new lady took over making the next few appointments, which took her FOREVER. She was not skilled in getting the information into the computer. I kept looking at the lady who was originally helping me who was standing in another cubicle area just a few feet away pleading with my eyes for her to come help this woman who could not work the computer. Finally she managed to set up the appointment for the month after that as well as a radiology appointment for my big ultrasound between 18-20 weeks.

Once the appointments were sorted out I was anxious to get this moving along so that I could see the Dr and get a peek at the little one. The first lady came back over and went over piece by piece the questionnaire that I filled out. Then she started asking me weird questions like if I was afraid of the baby's father (WHAT?). I answered with NO, I am not afraid of my husband. She followed up with has your husband ever hit you (is she serious?). Another NO (along with my very annoyed face)! Once she finished up her odd line of questioning she asked if I had any questions, discussed food I should stay away from, gave me some newspaper things that Kaiser puts out for each week of pregnancy.

THAT WAS IT!

What a second.... I am not seeing a Dr. today? There will be no ultrasound? Not even to check for a heartbeat? Now I was livid! This was not okay! My next appointment will not be for another month which means it will be over 2 months since I was seen at HRC before I would see a doctor at Kaiser. NOT OKAY!

I headed out to the waiting room to tell Paul what had transpired...

We had been planning on becoming "Facebook Official" with the news of our pregnancy after this appointment but that was when I thought we would get confirmation that everything was still going smoothly... now I am wondering if we should wait.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That makes zero sense?! Husbands are allowed everywhere the mom goes for that type stuff and they ALWAYS check heartbeat. I would be talking to some people there, very crazy.